Covid 19: Again, Nigeria declares 132 travelers ‘wanted’ for allegedly violating protocols

The Nigerian government has again publicly declared a total of 132 travellers as “persons of interest,” for allegedly violating new protocols put in place to halt the spread of the dreaded coronavirus disease in the country.

A statement issued on Thursday night by the Presidential Steering Committee (PSC) on COVID-19 and signed by its chairman and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, said the listed individuals who recently visited or arrived from India, Brazil and Turkey, are potential health hazards to the society.

This newspaper had earlier reported the declaration of 90 travellers as health hazards for allegedly committing the same offence. The list had then comprised both Nigerians and Indians.

The PSC has, therefore, sought the whereabouts of the violators on the latest list, and asked them to urgently present themselves for appropriate evaluations.

The statement added that the alleged violators evaded the mandatory seven-day quarantine at port health facilities before they are allowed to move about in the country.

According to the statement, these persons who arrived in the country through the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja, “have been declared Persons of Interest (POI) on account of posing considerable danger to overall public health and violation of Nigeria’s COVID19 travel protocol by evading the mandatory 7-day quarantine for persons arriving from restricted countries.”

The government has, therefore, said those on the new list “constitute an immediate health hazard to the society.”

“They must therefore transport themselves safely, to the nearest state public health departments within 48hrs of this notice for immediate evaluation and call the Port Health Services, Federal Ministry of Health on 08036134672 or 08032461990 for further directions,” the statement added.

The statement added that the concerned violators shall face regulatory sanctions including but not limited to, “disabling their travel passports for a period not less than one year; cancellation of visas or permits of foreigners that have abused our hospitality; and prosecution under the 2021 Health Protection Regulations.”

Credit THE GUARDIAN

Read Previous

Buhari meets Jonathan behind closed doors

Read Next

IG’s wife orders closure of beer parlours in barracks, says defaulters risk ejection

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular